Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have an IVECO DAILY 2.8 TURBO DIESEL P REG campervan conversion. It

Customer Question

I have an IVECO DAILY 2.8 TURBO DIESEL P REG campervan conversion.
It won't start, grrrrr . Running fine yesterday stop, start etc..... drove short distance 3 -5 miles top..... stopped in a nice spot side of main road and dded down for the night..... woke up this morning to start it and turns over but doesn't fire up. No lights are on the dashboard. so no heat plug light, no handbrake light, no oil light etc.... nothing no fuel gauge movement, and lamp check button doesn't do anything. Radio not working either.... However, windscreen wipers work fine, hazards work fine including light on dash though indicator don't work when using the stalk. Horn works. It's like all the warning functions work hazards and horn but nothing else.... even lights don.t work that I can tell.
I've checked every fuse and they seem OK. I can hear a relay clicking when I turn the ignition but still no lights on dash.... and of course no starting even though turns over well.
Please advise me if there is any other checks I can do.... I'm due home tonight because I have an important doctors appointment so I'm beginning to panic.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise -

With the symptoms you outline, this is either a dead / flat ( or very low ) battery - having flattened / drained over night for some reason - or, you have a bad connection on the main wiring system...

Start by checking the battery terminal connections - check to see if one has come loose - that will cause this... check the other wiring & connections etc - the earths etc...

If thats all it is - on curing that it will start-- but if you don't find anything - I think you will find the battery has gone flat... You would need someone to do a jump start for you or such...

You could try a rolling bump start - it may well go but its a little risky - if a battery is very very flat - they wont always start even on a running bump...but you may decide its worth a try - other than that - you are going to have to get someone to test the battery and go from there and / or jump start... From what you have outlined, Im sure its nothing more - at any rate - thats the place to start with this given those symptoms..

Im very pleased to have helped you -let me know if you need anything more - If you do need me, I will be back on later --I will always get back to you if needed -

** **>>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
battery terminals seem OK and the starter turns the engine fine..... just doesn't fire up. No lights on dash thought maybe a fuse or something but all seem OK. Horn and hazard flashers work fine so do the windscreen wipers and heater fan. so don't think it is a flat battery. cant get any help as stuck on side of road... I will have to call recovery if I cant get this started soon.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Chris -

- Thank you for your reply and further info.

Ok if its cranking the engine, then no that would tend to rule out the battery Chris - so long as its cranking the engine fast enough - if its slow / sluggish, due to a failing battery etc, then it wont start... but the lack of electrics on the dash concerns me.. I would say you have either lost an earth somewhere or, power / connections on the dash circuit - thats what will have to be checked Chris - with nothing to the dash, it wont start... Check the ign circuit - up to the ign and dash... Sometimes the actual cluster unit itself fails - but I dont think thats happened - I feel its more wiring related ... Let me know how you are getting on Chris... Im always happy to help further if needed..

Best Rgds, MIKE..