Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My car is jammed in the park position, and will not turn over.All

Customer Question

My car is jammed in the park position, and will not turn over.All the lights are working normally, so its not the battery.Could it be a problem with the immobiliser, and if so can you suggest a fix?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise..

I doubt this is an immob problem , in fact its usually a fault with one of a couple of things - either the brake switch - above the pedal has failed..or, the transmission control unit - or a relay fault.

There is an emergency override you can use to get you going - that is detailed in the Audi owners handbook - just look up Shifter release , it tells you there what to do - but as to the main issue - generally speaking a plug in diagnostic test is needed to determine the base cause.

As a tip you can check your brake lights to see if they work - its not a 100% test as the switch will still sometimes work the brake lights even when the shifter circuit is faulty - but its worth a try as if they are not working - there is then every chance its just the switch needs renewal.... So check that at least- it is about all you can do on a diy basis Im afraid -

Other than that - manual release the shifter and you should be able to drive the car for now then..

Im very pleased to have helped you -Let me know if you need anything more-

** ** >>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.