Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My VW Passat has a broken timing belt it was not driving at

My VW Passat has a broken timing belt it was not driving at the time. How much damage might there be
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Firstly you should try to turn the car over with the timing belt broken - the engine itself is classed as an interference engine so if the T-belt does break slip off etc..then its likely you will have suffered valved to piston contact which means one or several valves maybe bent..the only way to know exactly apart from just taking the head off as it stands now..Would be to either retime your engine back up with new timing belt kit etc and then do a compression test across the 4 cylinders and see what readings you get any low readings or loss of compression on a cylinder or cylinders compared to the rest with good and holding compression - will suggest damage on these low reading cylinders - A Cylinder Leakdown test would be better even if you have the equipment,most garages will - as this can tell you wither its an exhaust valves or an inlet valves by listening for the escaping air either via the exhaust system or the air filter intake system when that cylinder is at TDC when valves are closed any bend or damage to the valve and doesnt seal properly due to it being damaged will cause that escaping compressed air forced into the cylinder to escape - then you would need to remove the cylinder head to check that and maybe something to consider doing anyway if you feel you want to go down that route seeing as the belts off anyway,but that totally your choice - but thats certainly something to do once you get it timed back up rather than remove the head first is to do a compression test or leakage test and see what reading you get and confirm the damage so to speak and then take it from there.. Pretty rarely do you get away with it and just put another belt on,its not impossible if the engine rpm was very low as such - also remove the cam cover and fully inspect in there camshaft valve train wise for any damage etc..if valves are damaged then it its just case of new headgasket set and or a rebuild of the cylinder head you have or a second hand one from a breakers yard..but as above that about the way forward on this one..I do hope this helps..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am a retired motor mechanic so not quite up with the new engines and computers and so forth, but would I be able to fit a new belt myself without specialist equipment,Ron

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband is a retired motor mechanic so not quite up with the new engines, computers and so forth, but would he be able to fit a new belt his self without specialist equipment, Sandra

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there..

If you have the locking tool set for removal and refitting,proper tools etc..essentially experiance in doing these engines before then yes it will possible to do yourself..locking tools arent cheap for onetime only use - sealey do them so any good local motor factors and such like should be able to aquire them unless you can borrow them if being in the trade before..Ive included the procedure below that maybe of help to you..