Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Just topped up my Toyota with 9 litres of diesel instead of

Just topped up my Toyota with 9 litres of diesel instead of unleaded petrol. Will I get away with it/ - or do I need to drain the tank?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is***** happy to help / advise you..

Its always 1000 times worse the other way round... petrol in a diesel... but diesel in a petrol is not as deadly.

So you put 9 litres in.. as to what effect it will have - depends to some extent how much fuel you had in to start - as to what the ratio mix is.. Assuming you went to get fuel because you were getting low, then you likely have more diesel than petrol in it... It will start to run rough likely as not and smoke out the exhaust..

What you could do is top up the tank to the top to dilute it - that is something you can do - it is a risk because it still may smoke for a good few miles... It wont do any harm - but if its smoking bad as you drive you risk getting pulled up.

So it is a bit of a toss up really - again - 9 litres of diesel in that car with a relatively small tank is a risk.... The proper / professional answer is you should have it drained / taken out....but I have just run through the options above for you.

If you should decide to take it out - the AA do a specific service for this - you dont have to be a member - click the link HERE for info on that.

Im very pleased to have helped / advised you - If you need anything else at all - by all means get back to me - Im always happy to help more if needed..

>> Meantime >>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert