Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Hi I have a 2008 ford transit fwd swb 2.2 TD when when stopped

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2008 ford transit fwd swb 2.2 TD when when stopped at lights van won't excelerate to take off also its is cutting out when revs are low sometime have to restart to get power up
Category: Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 2 years ago.
Hi there ,good evening to you
Ok is there any warning lights on the dash display
Is there any black smoke eveident from the exhaust when this fault happens
Does it feel as though the engine is choking itself (ie if you hold throttle down does it gradually build up revs or is it more a limp home mode concern
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No lights on dash , 4 lines flash were diesel mileage is normally this happens when there's no power also can happen when revs are low when turning in to park and also cuts out sometimes

Hi there thanks ok when a customer express concern about various electrical issues such as failure of the odometer readings, ---- on display then the most common cause we see is a damaged /chaffed instrument cluster wiring harness. Damage to the instrument cluster wiring harness can result from touch conditions of the wiring harness in the area of the data link connector (DLC) diagnostic plug ) to the brake pedal bracket, causing grounding (temporary or permanent) and loss of CAN (Controller Area Network ) bus signals / messages.
As you have the ---- on the display this is a CAN issue
The CAN. Bus system connects and transmits information and data at high speed between every module on the vehicle
If the above fault isn't down to a chaffed /touch condition of the can wiring then further indepth electrical diagnosis will be required to pinpoint the root cause of the issue
Other issues I have seen regarding this fault is the ABS service plug (the link wire from engine bay to abs module
The pins in this connector have been known to corroded and cause such an issue
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I also heard it could be the egr valve on the pump is that through

Hi there
Ok the EGR valve would not cause ---- on the dash display
This is a sign of a Loss of communications between modules on the high speed can bus
The faults with the FPRV(fuel pressure relief valve popping are caused by a faulty fuel metering valve on the pump causing a loss of power, poor driveability and malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is illuminated and the DTC P0089 is present then the fuel pressure relief valve (PRV) will have been activated.
The FPRV is a safety device that is activated as a result of excessive fuel rail pressures and the cause of the high fuel rail pressure Caused by a faulty fuel metering valve (I have never known this issue to cause ----- on the dash display
After checking the wiring I spoke of at the diagnostic plug area if that checks out ok
Then before going any further or deeper you should have s good quality diagnostic fault code check of all the modules ie cluster ABS /PCM
This is imperative to correctly diagnosing this fault right first time and progressing with our issue and saving you a lot of time and Money
As misdiagnosis of this engine can be expensive
The engine management system is very complex and technical on this 2.2tdci Varient
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening
Brian
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience: SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi ray here again about the problem with my ford transit I may have mislead yo in some way maybe when I start van and drive for a while it's ok but when I stop at lights are just pull in some where the engine seems to go below its normal revs and when that happens the excelerator won't engage power after that until I turn key to restart engine
Does the ---- appear on display when this fault happens Ray

Regards Brian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but that's the same if you only put key in when you go to start the van petrol miles only show when you turn on van I've just realised that
Hi there Ray good evening to you

Ok I would advise having the ford ids software connected to have a full check of diagnostic fault codes on all modules
Note the codes then clear them and retest /monitor the vehicle as the correct fault code/s is absolutely imperative to diagnosing these faults
We can then work on which faults codes are logged and most importantly which code/s return after bring erased

Kind regards in advance

Brian