Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

my car wont start at times but after a push it seems to start

my car won't start at times but after a push it seems to start but it is happening more often. Im afraid to go out in it as you never know when it will happen.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you
Ok when this fault happens of you get ignition lights on the dash (cluster ) but then nothing when you turn the key
do you mean you can push start the vehicle (bump start ) when this fault occurs
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When this happens the engine turns over but does not start I also get back firing sometimes and then it seems to clear for a while this has happened to me twice within a week and yes i can bump start.

Hi there ,thanks
Ok this issue could lie with a few things and as it Is an intermitent fault it makes it a bit more difficult and tine consuming to pinpoint
Does temperature make z difference (hot or cold )
Does the vehicle turn over at a good speed or is there a whiny noise heard
Is there any smoke from the exhaust
How intermitent is this issue
Regards ***** *****
Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No temperature difference , turns over at a good speed , sometimes I can smell petrol, No smoke from the exhaust.

Hi there thanks sorry for the delay
Ok I would Start with a set of new spark plugs in your case as if the spark plug is worn and is only creating a weak spark this would not be strong enough to ignite the fuel /air mixture thus you would get a smell of unburnt petrol
Regards ***** *****
Brian