Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi, my Volvo v50 has started to jump out of 6th gear, it has

Customer Question

Hi, my Volvo v50 has started to jump out of 6th gear, it has done 140,000 miles. Does it need a new gearbox. Thanks Chris
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE ..Im happy to help / advise you.

This is not a known /common issue in that I could say it will be this / that for sure.. Its possibly a worn gear train - inside the transmission yes but it could be the selectors giving trouble- that needs to be checked first.

Sometimes you can tell if it feels odd - like its not selecting fully - but the selectors need to be physically checked - and where they connect to the transmission for wear / tear on the bushings etc... If its not that , then its internal . As to whether to replace the transmission then or to have it repaired comes to down costs / and down time. A gearbox can be replaced in 3-4 hours whereas to have it removed / stripped / repaired and replaced, it can be off the road for a few days... so thats the toss up on that.

I would suggest to have a garage check the selectors for you first though as it really needs to be on a garage ramp for proper access... then go from there as found / as above..

Im very pleased to have helped you -let me know if you need anything more -

** **>>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.