Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have just brought a Toyota 2000 GS 1.6 .The cl tch makes

I have just brought a Toyota 2000 GS 1.6 .The cl
tch makes a grinding noise when driving the car
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

By your description i suspect it could well be a clutch release bearing fault / wearing out..this is actually located inside the gearbox bellhousing attached to the clutch fork and is part of the clutch assembly this can often cause a grinding noise when clutch is released or depressed or stops when depressed..sadly the only way to check that would be to have the gearbox removed and inspect further aswell as the condition of the clutch itself..and very often rather than replace the just the bearing itself.it would be wise to put in the the whole 3 part kit..friction / pressure plate / release bearing..another possible cuase could be lack of oil in the gearbox or a fualt inside the box but would most likly cause gear selection problems both with engine on and off.so it maybe worth checking the under side of the box for leaks if lack of oil..before you go ahead with a clutch replacement maybe try having the clutch cable adjusted and see if that helps.failing that then the next step really is the clutch assembly need checked out..I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the good advice .I think the car has been stood up for a few weeks .The noise goes away when the clutch is depressed .Other than this ,the car is fine .I shall get a mechanic to check out the clutch fluid and adjust the cable ,and go from there .Thank you ,nick crozier

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there.Nick. thats fine...if you need ask anything else then just continue after this post..please remember though not to forget rate my answer above..much appreicated..regards Robert