Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I need to remove viscous fan on 1992 mercedes 300e it is held

I need to remove viscous fan on 1992 mercedes 300e it is held on by socket screw for which i have an allen key,thescrew will turn both right hand and left hand, but does not come out of thread
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** happy to help you -

The holding nut will turn either way but should undo to the right - it is a left hand thread..

You need to use something to hold the fan hub still to turn the nut - otherwise the whole thing just spins - MB have a special tool to hold the hub - you can get such tools from car tool shops etc..

Again - it will turn both ways but not when its properly undoing / tightening.

Im very pleased to have helped you -let me know if you need anything more -

** ** >>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike. viscous unit retained with allen bolt for which i have key , i can turn bolt clockwise but the bush also turns with pulley locked,

Could you please tell me what the small valve or what could be a rechargeing unit is on face of viscous unit when sprung clip is removed ,it has a small plunger sticking out which is spring loaded, could you give me a call on 01443 405698 0r *********** mant thanks for your help in this problem John