Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

FREELANDER2 -having problems with faulty fuel display

FREELANDER2 -having problems with faulty fuel display.Gauge sometimes drops to zero even when tank has fuel in it.Gauge slowly recovers.Suspect faulty sensor.Model is 2010,auto,diesel,25,000miles only.Is this a DIY fix or workshop? From T.XXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXX

Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Problem not fixed.Waiting for your response.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome...

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you..

Im sorry to see you have had a wait.

With this issue - you canget faults with the fuel gauge - but usually if its a dash cluster fault - you will have trouble with more than just the one gauge. Coupled with how you describe the fault, this is 99.9% sure to be the sender unit in the tank..

It will have to be removed and tested - I don't know your level of expertise or what tools you have etc - Its not what I'd call a DIY job - it requires a reasonable level of mechanical expertise and a fair array of mechanics tools and equipment.

The unit has to be removed from the tank - the actual sender unit can then be mechanically actuated while the gauge is watched for operation - and too - it can be tested with a meter to be sure --

I suspect it will be found that it needs to be replaced with a new unit - so its just a case now of whether you feel you can do the above or not.. You dont have to use a dealer - any smaller type garage can do this for you and the costs would be considerably less than dealer labour rates / charges..

They will start by checking the circuit for any issues in the wiring / connections etc then progress from there as above.

When the fuel system is disturbed as it will need to be -the system then has to be bled for the engine to start and run....

Im very pleased to have helped you -let me know if you need anything more -

** **>>Meantime -- - - >> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again..

This is MIKE who answered you as above.

The system is telling me you have replied to me after my answer to you - but I dont see anything at all..

This could be a glitch - but if you have replied - please copy / paste me the reply again - Im sorry - it is a system issue when that happens...

Once I hear from you , I will as needed get back to you asap.. OR - if we car done, please just click on the "OK / Excellent ratings" for me at this point -- Thank you very much.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.