Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK

I have a Renault laguna 2001 expression and the battery is

Customer Question

I have a Renault laguna 2001 expression and the battery is always going flat. I have taken out the foot well light bulbs but it hasn't helped. any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hopefully i can help..

Givin that you have removed and truned off all interior lamps/check external lamps inc number plate lights.of course too anything aftermarket fittted will need to be checked out to or disconnected to test.then the next stage is to test to see whats drawing power from the battery when the cars can do this by if you have the equipment/either multimeter/or test lamp disconnect the negative battery terminal and connect one end of the test light to the battery post and the other end to the negative the test lamp is in between..if it lights up or bright then thats the drain...make sure before hand all doors are closed or if you have to check fuses inside the car then ensure which ever door you have open the door open contact switch is depressed like it would be if the door was closed..then with your handbook/fuse table start pulling the known fuses one at a time and placing back in.whilst montioring the test lamp..when a one of the fuses is pulled and the test lamp goes out or voltage drops if using a meter..then see what that fuse and number corresponds with and that will be the circuit in question causing the drain..obviously after that depending what circuit its is and covers can be left out - but then next stage is to trace that circuit or components that fuse covers to remedy that drain problem..If you dont have those equipement..then i would imagine any good local auto electrician or garage even should be able to trace down in a similar fashion..I do hope this helps..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The battery is still dead at the minute I'm waiting on a charger. I will try what you have suggested once the battery is charged again! When you say test the car when it's idle did you mean when the engine is off or when it's running? Also Robert as I've paid the money for your help is there any way I could contact you back when the battery is charged and I have tried what you have suggested?

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..thanks for your reply..

No sorry i meant when the cars sitting idle "not used/no engine running" - once you have rated the answer above - it doesnt close this question you can still come back to it should require further help etc..regards Robert