Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a 2006 Land Rover defender which is being a little temperamental

I have a 2006 Land Rover defender which is being a little temperamental on starting. About 40% of the time she starts no problem at all however the rest of the time when you turn the ignition all you can hear is a soft click as if you have zero battery. I turn the immobilizer on and off wait for a minute and then try again. Generally after a few minutes of turning the key avery 20 seconds or so she fires up. However the lack of starting seems to be getting worse. This started about 2 months ago before this she started first time every time. Would this be battery related or something else do you think ? many thanks Mark
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you with this-

Before we progress - I need to ask a couple of things..

What mileage do you have - ?

How old is the battery? - Plus you said you have charged it - was it down?

Have you had any actual tests / checks done at all?

Rgds, MIKE................................................

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Miles are 26k, battery is about 4 years old. Was unable to see if the battery was flat as this does not show on my charger.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

This is MIKE who replied to you as above - Im really very sorry, for some odd reason your question got lost off my lists - and has just popped up again now.. Im sincerely ***** ***** just do not know why that happened....

Getting back to your issues with your Defender - I certainly would not rule out battery issues - With these models, the battery doesn't have to completely fail to cause problems - just low static charge - or due to age ( and 4 years is old enough these days sadly ) it not being able to take or retain full charge, is enough to cause such issues - so do bear that in mind. Really it needs a pro test on the battery - and the alternator - charge system to either find that / as the fault..or rule it out.( Home chargers are not always that good and cant test the battery..)

If its ruled out, then I would say the starter motor circuit needs checking - the actual starter motor... the circuit - and the ignition unit itself. The fault is bound to found one way or the other working through as above...

Once again -my sincere apologies for not being able to get back to you as above..

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert