cory cooper
cory cooper, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years of experience. All phases of repair, overhaul,diag of auto, marine and motorcycles
8238693

Why will the 2.3 microbus not start even though it has spark

Customer Question

Why will the 2.3 microbus not start even though it has spark as well as fuel on the spark. I replaced the petrol pump, the coil the spark plugs. I also checked the timing all is well the compression is at 3. The engine swings but refuse to run. Just before the engine died the oil light went on at high speeds
Category: Car
Expert:  cory cooper replied 3 years ago.
cory cooper :

Hello, my nasme is Cory

cory cooper :

The compression is 3 bar?

cory cooper :

You need at least 9 bar or 110 psi to run

Customer:

So does that mean overhauling the whole engine or just the head and regrinding the valves first

cory cooper :

cory cooper :

First you must remove a plug and add an ounce of engine oil inside the cylinder. Then recheck compression. This is called a wet test

cory cooper :

if the compression goes up, the rings are bad.

cory cooper :

If the compression stays the same, you will then want to compress air into the cylinder with that particular cylinder at Top Dead Center or remove rocker arms to insure cam is not opening valves.

cory cooper :

If the valves are leaking you will hear compressed air coming through intake or exhaust pipe or both

cory cooper :

Are all the cylinders the same reading?