Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Mini One Manual Gearbox -- Registered May 2011 -- bought by

ASKED 31 July 2014 15:07 QUESTIONNAIRE ON SATISFACTION RECEIVED 2 Aug STILL NOT RECEIVED YOUR ANSWER NOW 3 Aug. PLEASE E-MAIL XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX THANKS. Mini One Manual Gearbox -- Registered May 2011 -- bought by us July 2014. My wife, particularly, finds it very difficult to select reverse gear due to a very strong spring in the gate. Mini agent (and garage bought from) advises that Mini UK has told them there is no modification that can be done. Note: Previous car "Golf" was no problem as it had a "push down" to select reverse

Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Shantal

Yes please I would like a reply. Have still not found an answer.

Roy

Hello Roy,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Hello Roy,
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please

Roy

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Roy... Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** I have been asked to help you with this - Sorry to see you have had a wait - Personally I have been off this last week ...evidently no one else picked your question up - I can only apologise for that..

With this situation Roy, the difficult reverse gear selection - I see you have compared it to your previous Golf for obvious reasons but can I ask, have you compared it to another MINI.. That really would be the best way forward you know at this point.. Its difficult to say from here whether its stiff - unusually stiff or not as obviously I cannot test it so I have to go off what you say -and what you have been told by the dealer.... As far as that goes - one would say that there isn't a problem .... They are certainly different to the Golf etc - a total different design... so you can't really compare with that - or any other marque - but again - you can compare it with another MINI at the dealer.. that really is your best advice / course of action at this point - because you will know for sure then whether it is indeed "normal" for the MINI you have - or , if you find them on the forecourt that are a lot easier - you know then for a fact that yours has a problem that needs looking at and repair - you can then have the dealer person feel it for himself and compare - then there are no arguments.

If you do find that yours is evidently then not right - you can ask the dealer to investigate this fully for you -...or the garage with the dealers backing and put it right for you.

Now , what to "manually" ... from a check / repair point of view - my thoughts would be that if its found to be not right for sure - then you have either a fault with the selector cable / bushing on the reverse cable selector -or, this is an internal issue -within the transmission.
It makes sense for the garage to simply disconnect the cables and check them for correct operation - these do go stiff over the years - though a faulty one can occur any time - but it needs to be physically stripped and checked as above - that way it then becomes evident if its plain selector issue / fault -in which case , they renew the selector cables... and if its not - ie, the cables operate fine when off... then its a transmission fault - and that would expensive. As such the sooner this is checked out as above, the better for you as its still under warranty - you don't want them to be fobbing you off while time passes -until its out of warranty ...so as above is the way to work forward on this one now to get this sorted for you Roy.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meantime - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike

Thank you for your excelent advice. I will contact the Garage / Dealer immediately along the lines you suggest.

Roy