sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.

I have been into the garage as my air con isnt working on

Customer Question

I have been into the garage as my air con isn't working on my vauxhall corsa (57 plate)
It isnt anything to do with a regas. It is either the compressor or the condenser that has gone but I cant remember which one it is. They quoted me as about £500 to repair.
Can you help to let me know which one it would be and is that the going rate for repair or should I look elsewhere.
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I hope I can be of assistance.
If the condensor has failed then there will be no refrigerant in the system as the condensor corrodes allowing the refrigerant to leak out.
If it is the compressor then it is either the compressor clutch that fails or the compressor fails internally so not compressing the gas refrigerant.
The bill from the garage should tell you what work they carried out and what the found, if there was no refrigerant then it's likely to be the compressor.
At £500 depending on the labour cost it should be easy enough to determine the quote, a compressor is around twice the price of a condensor, from a main dealer the compressor would be around £400.
Condensor failures are certainly more common than compressor failures.
Labour to replace a compressor or condensor is about the same, at no more than 2 hours, the compressor is slightly less and there is nearly an hour to drain, vacuum and refill the system to enable component replacement.
I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,