sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

my 2000 mk5 ford fiesta is using a lot of petrol than normal

Customer Question

my 2000 mk5 ford fiesta is using a lot of petrol than normal and is spluttering in 2nd gear and cuts out and is only doing 30mph per hour on motorway feels sluggish what could it be.
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
By far the most common problem causing running concerns on this engine is an ignition system fault that causes a misfire. As the engine lacks power when misfiring it make you drive the car harder so causing an increase in fuel consumption.
There are a couple of things to check to see what is causing the misfire. Check the spark plugs make sure they are OK and that there is no water gathered in the cylinder head around the plugs, water can gather here either due to a coolant leak from the cylinder head core plugs corroding or rain gets in and fills the rocker cover until it flows into the spark plug area.
Check the output from the coil, it's common for the coil to fail so causing no output to a HT lead if this is the case then replacing the coil is the solution.
If a misfire of this nature is left it can cause catalyst damage due to unburnt fuel entering the catalyst causing it to over heat.
There are other problems that can cause a lack of power such as blocked filters or incorrect sensor readings but an ignition fault tends to be the fault most of the time.
Start with checking the points above, let me know if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.