sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

focus 091.6 tdci came in with oil leak at turbo and underpowered

Customer Question

focus 091.6 tdci came in with oil leak at turbo and underpowered so replaced turbo and cleaned egr /sump /oil pipes and the rest but turbo is not blowing intercooler pipes hard checked it with dpf disconnect and still the same tried boost pressure sensor still the same
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
There are 2 different turbos fitted to the 1.6 TDCi one is a variable vane the other is a wastegate design, the higher power turbo is the variable van.
Both turbos use a vacuum actuator to adjust boost, the variable van needs to have a vacuum to the turbo to pull the actuator, if there is no vacuum then there will be no boost, when you start the engine you should see the actuator get pulled to it's stop, if it isn't then check the vacuum pipes to the actuator solenoid, the solenoid is low down on the engine at the rear on the right side, it's common for this to fail or for a vacuum pipe to become damaged.
Start with checking the vacuum system and that there is a vacuum to the turbo actuator.
I hope this helps but if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

vacuum is pulling actautor and its 110 hp

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again, sorry for the delay.
If the actuator is pulling to move the vans then check that the turbo is actually spinning, I've seen new turbos where the nut has spun off the shaft. If the turbo is spinning then check the intercooler and pipe work for splits or damage, if the car is a stage IV emission level then check the intercooler by pass is operating as it should.
You mention the MAP sensor if possible check the MAP reading, at idle it should read atmospheric pressure.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best wishes,
Sean.