Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

hi my descovery 2 when going from 2gear to 3gear the gear

Customer Question

hi
my descovery 2 when going from 2gear to 3gear the gear lever is not lining up with the gate i can find the gear but it is a little nit and miss
regards
stevie
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Stevie,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi

i dont want to close the question as istill need a answer.

regards

steviem

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE -Im happy to help / advise you with this..

The usual fault when you get this happening as you describe is with the detent springs - I will give you an image to help you -- for that - click HERE.

You - or whoever is going to do this will need to access the assembly as shown above by gaining access to the base of the gear lever - then check those springs - sometimes they come loose - or break. Also - check the tightness of the bolt heads you see in the image there - as when / if they come loose- you will have the same issue.

If its not that as above- then you need to remove the four bolt heads you see there - and withdraw the mechanism - the fault will be within there - as you will see when you remove it - the detent assembly....but to be honest, the usual fault is with those springs one way or the other.

It may be worth if this is your only transport , contacting the local LR dealer parts dept and getting the parts ready - see what they have in stock...

Im very pleased to have helped / advised you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meantime - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.