Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Rover 75 Diesel 12/04. When stationary, there is a loud "roaring"

Customer Question

Rover 75 Diesel 12/04. When stationary, there is a loud "roaring" noise from under the bonnet for about 6 seconds. Then it stops and starts again after a short time. It is associated with the air con system. Can you advise, please? With many thanks. Charles.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I wasn't expecting it to take so long, but now I know I'm very happy to continue waiting for a reply.

I have been reading and think the roaring is in the air con condenser. If you have an Expert with air con experience it would be nice to know if this is correct and how best to resolve the problem.

My garage doesn't seem to know!

Thanks so much for contacting me.

Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, if at anytime you wish to close your question and reverse your charges please let me
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Hard for me to say with me not being there or to hear and see.

But if its A/C related this could be the A/C pressure clutch that is cycling on and off
and when on compressor making the noise .

You will have to open the bonnet and with a torch light up the front of the compressor and when you see the clutch engage and the noise starts than that will be your problem ,bad compressor / clutch.

If this is not the case then please get back to me .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much Greg. I'll go and have a look shortly.

With kind regards

Charles

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Charls .

Get back to me so we can fix this issue .

Kind regds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Greg and thanks for your patience.

I have looked into the engine space with a very bright torch, but visibility is very limited and I cannot see the clutch or isolate the condenser, which is low down just behind the radiator (I think). A lot of air-draught comes up when the roaring starts. I am too old to get under cars now!

Greg, I think this was a very hard question for you to respond to on the internet and I think you have done very well and been very helpful with the information that I have supplied you with and I'm more than happy to sign you off with a glowing report. I must find an a/c expert garage locally and take it in.

With many thanks and with kind regards

Charles