Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My Ford Transit 230 Lwb is giving out a horrible squeal even

Customer Question

My Ford Transit 230 Lwb is giving out a horrible squeal even when I move it slowly. Last night after 3 hours non stop motorway driving at 60 miles an hour the squeal came on as I slowed down and it reappeared each time I braked. This morning noise is constant. How safe to continue driving? Steve
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

If at all possible maybe have somebody outside the van listen whilst you move the van slowly..this let you know which side you need to inspect in relation to which wheel you need to look at or side even...From what you say and i asume this doesnt occur when stationary - id imagine without hearing it..there a fault on the brakes/wheel bearing even - either your discs are heavily grooved - Brakes pads are low or down to the metal backing orthere is alot of brake dust build up or the pads are sticking on the carrier and not fully releasing - front caliper sliders are siezed again creating a binding on effect on the front creating excessive heat/squeeling you'll know if one wheel seems hotter than the rest - something is trapped between that and the disc - one of the brakes are binding on causing one to overheat and thus causing the noise you hear...if once you locate which side it emitting from the noise as above then take measures to inspect each area as above if possible by removing the wheel to check further..its really hard to say if it safe to drive or not by not fully hearing the said noise in question..if the brakes are performing ok and everything has been inspected before driving the van then it should be ok.but I would advise making these checks above just to be sure...i do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate