Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

Number plate Lights not working

Customer Question

Number plate Lights not working
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd 1st use a meter on the bulb terminals to see if you've gotten 12V coming through

if you have then check the wiring loom connection in the boot where it goes under the boot carpet

and check that the rear wiring earth point near the LH light under the carpet is clean and tight
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As mentioned in my question I have checked and tested the wiring loom with a multi meter and all is ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I has already mentioned I had tested and checked the wiring loom, all he did was repeat what I had already done, nit good and not clever, I shall be asking my credit card for a refund.
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try help you with this.
I see you have tested the wiring yourself and all appears to be ok. However as the lights still don't work then either you have missed something, your meter could be faulty or you need to carry out other testing.
Can you tell me what checks you have done and what the readings were?
If you were getting 12v to the lamp and it still wasn't working then either you have a high resistance in the wire, possibly corrosion or a bad earth. What I would do next is not use a multimeter but a test lamp and use a different earth point. If the light comes on then you have a bad earth. If the light doesn't come on then you have a high resistance in the wire somewhere. This can be checked with a volt drop test using the multimeter.
Mark.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Basic stuff and already done these tests, youvare not talking to people who dont know anything about engineering etc. I paid money to get expert answers as I had run out of iseas not basic engineering information, waste of money.
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
It's all right you say you have done these tests. Can you tell me the results of the readings you took as obviously you are missing something as it still doesn't work.
Mark.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Excuse me i have missed something, look at the chain i feel something has been missed by the so called experts.
If i follow your route are you saying that this will guarantee a fix, dont think so look at the fiat forums online before you open your mouth and find fault with the customer.
Expert my ass
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Why wont you say what tests you have done and what the results were?

If you have carried out the checks and there is no voltage to the rear then you may need a new multifunction control unit. But the only way to be sure is for you to provide what the readings were.

Mark