Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Ive changed the front discs and pads and also had a front

Customer Question

I've changed the front discs and pads and also had a front nearside wheel bearing fitted. However I now get a knocking from the front nearside when braking - sounds more like a squeak than a knock. It is also intermittent
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

its quite possible that the new pads aren't sitting right

I'd strip the calipers down again and check that the pads are in square and true with no debris in the mounting slots, also inspect the caliper mounting faces for any dents, burrs, or debris which would cause them to be bolted up out of true, also remove the disc and do the same for its mounting face on the upright and inside the disc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Matt,

I noticed that the retaining bolt which holds the disk to the hub was missing - coud this be a factor? My mechanic said it did'nt matter as the wheel would hold the disk on the hub. As a reasonable mechanic myself, unfortunately ill health stops me doing any repairs, I have my doubts about this missing retaining bolt - if it did'nt matter why have it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Matt,

Did you see my last reply?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Stephen

the small retaining bolt is only there to hold things in place during the wheel assembly

your technician is right in that you can get away without it

however I'd fit it if it was me