Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My car has recently had two new front tyres and the anti roll

Customer Question

My car has recently had two new front tyres and the anti roll bar done after which the steering wheel shakes a bit abd there is a not so nice noise when it id turnt on. I thought this was the tracking so have had that done but made no difference. Also when going over bumpa it makes a real bang is this the coil spring?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What was the reason for the two front tyres/roll bar? was this for the same problem or another?

Did they change the drop links?

Can you describe exactly the noise you hear at start up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the tyres were worn and the anti roll bar was on mot advisory
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your responce..

Ok..you dont say wither they replaced the drop links on the antiroll bar nor the bushings the bar is held on with..that all needs to be verified as such being done when you had the bar replaced..as any type of knocking,banging as you describe can point to those two areas..any type of such knocking over rough areas of ground is usually a suspension/steering joints issue either the lower control arm bushing,top suspension mount or balljoint or wera in the tie rods or track rods ends..all that has to be accounted for an checked out..and having a alinment done "if" there is excess wear in any of those above means you've spent money for nothing on the tracking..i note you do say the steering shakes a bit.any of those areas above can cause that if there is sufficient wear in those..of course too it can also be contributed to damaged rim or the tyre itself hasnt been fully balanced properly.certainly ensure the tyres on the front are secure wheels nuts as such just incase.but as above generally coil springs dont tend to give syptoms like that they more or less break around the base usually and cause the car to lean sit slightly lower to one side as oppossed to the other...but id say as above have those area checked out if you havent already so far upto now..I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate