Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

I have an 06 reg Diesel engine, was only doing 15 miles an

I have an 06 reg Diesel engine, was only doing 15 miles an hour or so and there was a really loud grating type noise, managed to get safe and get AA out, he reckons it's the timing belt. I have a crdi 1991 cc engine, is this going to be an interference engine. The AA guy tried to restart the engine but it wouldn't start, do you think reconditioned is going to be cheaper than replacement of timing belt. Cheers,
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
Mark :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try help you with this.

Mark :

This is an interference engine and if the belt fails then valve damage is likely to occur.

Mark :

Sometimes you can be cheaper to replace the complete engine if you can find one cheap enough.

Mark :

Repair costs can vary across the country depending on the labour rate of the garage you use.

Mark :

Parts prices are a bit more stable between regions.

Mark :

If you do decide to replace the engine then it is worth changing the timing belt and pulleys etc before fitting it.