Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

My 2006 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 diesel cut out without warning,

Customer Question

My 2006 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 diesel cut out without warning, and refused to restart. The AA did a diagnostic check, and said that no engine speed and no fuel pressure was being recorded. After checking the fuse for the fuel pump, the car restarted, and drove normally for the few hundred yards back home. The car has been utterly reliable for the 50,000 miles of my ownership (total mileage 62000). All the Citroen garage can advise is, wait for it to break down again, have it towed in and they will carry out a diagnostic check! Suggestions, please.
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

This sounds like an electrical actuator or sensor at fault .Usually when you can cycle the ignition key on / off and then restart the engine and the fault is gone temporarily this indicates that this is an electrical component causing this issue.

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;
Airflow meter
Crank position sensor
Cam position sensor
O2 sensor
Throttle pedal position sensor

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.