Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi I have a SEAT Ibizia Ecomotive 1.4 2010. I have the car

I have a SEAT Ibizia Ecomotive 1.4 2010. I have the car from new it has 50,500 miles and has been serviced as per the handbook. Last week I was travelling at less than 10mph and there was a click and clunk and the car stopped dead. The engine would not turn over and is now at the local SEAT dealer. They are saying that they will have to remove the sump and gear box to locate the problem. This sounds expensive. I would not anticipate a clutch problem on a modern car that has less than average mileage and has been looked after. Any help would be welcome. Regards ***** *****
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing and the way that this happened, this is not a clutch problem. This issue that you are having is consistent with a broken flywheel which I have seen before. The gearbox has to be removed in order to see and inspect the flywheel which is why the shop is taking this route.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, Thank you for the reply - I did not expect a quick answer as it was the weekend. The dealer did mention that something might be broken on the flywheel? As I am not a mechanic, I do not understand how a flywheel could break on a modern car. The dealership said they had spoken to SEAT UK and they had not come across this problem before. I have had the car from new April 2010 and it has a full service history as per the handbook. The only problem I have had with the car was that the rear brake shoes kept sticking on and they were replaced by SEAT under warranty. Regards Craig

There really is no reason when a flywheel develops a crack or breaks a section off, this does not happen in all flywheels and normally what causes the issue is that particular flywheel had some sort of defect from the manufacture and took a while to present itself. The flywheel would need to be checked first in this type of issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, Thank you for your response I will hear from the SEAT dealership later this week. Thank you for your help. Regards Craig

No problem. Thank you, ***** ***** can respond back to this question at anytime after rating positive if you need further help.