Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Good morning, I have a 97 Suzuki Vitara that is bogging

Customer Question

Good morning,
I have a 97 Suzuki Vitara that is bogging down/missing when under strain. Could this be the EGR valve? Also, is the 97 Vitara OBD II compliant?
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Is your check engine light ON when the engine is running .

Yes your vehicle is OBD II compliant,

Which engine do you have fitted ,G16 a G16b H20 .Diesel ??

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Greg,
Yes, the check engine light is on. It's fitted with a 1590 cc engine but that's all I know. The engine number is ***** Aha. I've just re read that and assume its a G16 engine?
Bob
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bob .

Any chance you can get hold of a code reader or scan tool to
check for malfunction codes .

G16B is your engine

I would be more inclinde to say you have a fuel pressure issue but a EGR is also possible.

Fuel pressure should read 2.5 - 3.0bar .
graphic

You could first disconnect the MAF sensor and then start up your engine and see if your power has got better, if this is the case replace the MAF if not then check the pressure of the fuel ,if low replace the fuel pump .

All look good then you will need the scan tool to check for malfunction codes .

Not much more you can do with out the needed tools for a EOBD II system.

BUT before jumping the gun when was the last engine tune up like plugs and ignitionchecked and replaced where needed.

If you have the tools just for peach of mind have the engine compression tested .
You should have a round 12bars on a good engine and not less than 8bars all four should not have more difference than 5% between each cylinder.

If all looks good then get back to me with malfunction codes .

If you need further assistance with this issue then please let me, get back to me with the reply button and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Kind regards Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience: Automotive diagnostic tech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Greg,

Any idea where the OBD socket is? I've been told that it's normally behind the steering wheel but I can't see it. I have a code reader but can't see where it plugs in.

I'll have a look at the plugs etc tomorrow. I may have a pressure reader in the garage somewhere.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bob .

Its under the dash on the drivers side and is a 16 pin plug , if its not there then let me know and this will mean you have the late 96 build and have the other system where we will have to do testing the old way .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One more thing, there is a small crack in the fuel tank which is leaking a little. I am going to fix it this week but could this cause a drop in pressure?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Greg,

I can't find the OBD anywhere. I've changed the leads and spark plugs and the engine runs much sweeter now but I'm still getting the CEL.

Bob
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi bob okay you do have the older system ,
On the right front strut tower by the small fuse bov you will sdee a few relays ans a plug with a black rubber cap , let me know if you have one of these then get back to me and i will show you how to ger the codes .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Greg,

Is this inside the car near the driver footwell?

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bob,

No this is under the hood on the right side near the suspenstion strut,

Greg
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi bob.

Here is a diagram to make it easier .

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Rgds Greg