Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Kia Sorento Titan and the air bag light stays on when

I have a Kia Sorento Titan and the air bag light stays on when I hacve turned the key in the ignition, it is supposed to come on but then should go off, just want to check if it is still safe to drive with the airbag light on? as I can't get it to a dealer to check as it's the bank holiday?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

The airbag/srs system goes through its own self test when the ignition is turned..once its statisfied there are no faults on the airbag system then the light should go out - if it stays on throughout the duration of using the car then it measn the airbag/srs system has detected a fault..and this can cover areas such as the airbags itself / wiring to those / clockspring on the steering wheel / seat belt pretensioners - to progress further it would be advisable to have the airbag system diagnostically tested to see which area is at fault..normally it can be as simple a loose connection mainly under seat connectors that can come loose if the seat is normally adjusted alot..but the test/fault codes according should verfiy as such..in the mean time it will be certainly ok to drive its just means the airbag system may not be operational or deploy if in the event of an accident until as such its is rectified the fault..I do hope this helps