Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi, I have a mk6 VW Golf which I love. Its a lovely Car bought

Hi, I have a mk6 VW Golf which I love. It's a lovely Car bought new from local dealer. It's only 2 years and 7 months old. It has done 32500 miles on the clock. Unto date service and maintenance. My problem is I have got front tyres changed by the dealer. After heaving the tyre changed I've noticed they my car's steering is not straight when I'm driving on a straight road, it's off centred and pointing towards the right. I took it to the dealer and they said all it's needs is wheel alignment so got it aligned but problem was still there, took it back again and they said they needs the car for two days as they have to investigate it. But after today's they said the is sorted so I took their word and but all they have done is tried to aligned the. Steering wheel not sorting the problem, steering wheel is still same but little less. So I took it to the local garage and got the alignment checked it was all wrong so I got the alignment corrected after this I am back to square 1. So I took the card back to the dealer and their senior engined says the steering wheel needs to come off and aligned straight. Is this the correct way to resolve this issue. It also pulls to the left now. I'm worried!!! Can someone advice me please. I'll be so grateful. Thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

OK this sounds to me that some steering or suspension joint may have some slack in it which then makes it impossible to set the suspension alignement up

So I'd 1st check for worn suspension joints - jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground (you’ll need to do this for all 4 corners) and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel on the front) there should be no play in either direction. Any play in 1 direction will usually require a joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault. If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.
Now with the car jacked up on that side with the wheel about 2 inches off the ground use a steel bar under the wheel and lever the wheel up and down slightly, you should be able to look at the end of the axle and see if the suspension arm is moving up and down separately to the axle.If so replace the bush

To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing

then if all of this is OK I'd get a suspension / 4 wheel alignment place involved

as yes the steering wheel needs to be centered so its in the middle of the steering rack travel with equal amounts of lock from side to side - however just removing it and setting round a notch should only be done if the amount of steering lock is different from side to side

then the suspension is adjusted to correct the alignment - it is important to do this front and rear as its adjustable from both ends
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Matt, thank you for your reply I'm taking the back to the dealers and also show the advice you've provided me as I don't understand as I'm not a technician. Thank you again will get back to you soon.
Azee
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
No problem Azee

just get backo me on this post
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Matt, just a quick one, is there a way to get your reply by an email so I can forward it to the dealer serivice department. Would be better with my questions attached.
Azee
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Azee

the site deletes contact details I'm afraid

if you were to use the print screen option and then cut and paste into a mail that would do it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Matt, I can't yet rate your answer as I'm not sure if it was good/better or excellent. Pls allow some time and I'll rate your answer. Would appreciate if I don't get anymore reminders as I already have about 6 reminders.
Azhar
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Azhar

understood

sorry about all the reminders

thats completly automated and out of my hands I'm afraid
Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years