Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have changed the battery, replaced the coil, ignition module,

Customer Question

I have changed the battery, replaced the coil, ignition module, distributor and cap, rotor arm but still do not get a spark but the engines does turn over. I think it may be something to do with the immobiliser or alarm. Can anyone please help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

Do you have the factory alarm or aftermarket?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

I believe it is aftermarket. We bought the motorhome second hand and was not running then. It had been towed by the previous owner and not used for 5-6 years. The alarm light in the cab does not flash at all if that helps. The immobiliser key does not seem to do anything, I have changed the battery in it but still does not do anything but the light on the immobiliser key now flashes.

Yes the issue that you are having is likely the alarm keeping the vehicle from starting.
Try these steps.
Remove the positive battery end and then the negative battery cable end and leave disconnected for 20 minutes connect the positive first and then the negative.
Insert the key and turn to the on position but do not try to start, leave in this position for 5 minutes and then try to start, this should reset the system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

We have tried what you told us to try but it still does not start. Do you have any further ideas.

KR

No the only other thing will be to check the ignition wires where the alarm ties in to and ohm test the wires.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you we will try that. Definitely think it is something to do with being immobilised from being towed, We just do not know enough about the electric side of mechanics or immobilisers. Next step an auto electrician, if we can find one that can come out to the motorhome.

KR

Sandy & Lance