Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi I have a toyoto aygo sport, the red p/s light has come on.

Hi I have a toyoto aygo sport, the red p/s light has come on. Iam told that this car has an electric motor for the power steering but there is power steeting fluid for sale on Amazon for the Aygo. Can you tell me what is going on please.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Firstly the Aygo doesnt use a hydraulic steering system..instead as you pointed out the car uses a electric power assisted motor/ecu controlled steering system..the motor itself is located on the steering column..normally when faults like this occur its usually the ecu "probably highly likely not too uncommon for these to faulter" normally producing such a fault code C1554 Power Steering Malfunction -the ecu itself can be repaired so may want to look up places such as BBA-Reman online..usually the cheapest option rather then a brand new ecu - but firstly i would strongly suggest having the ecu scanned using a suitable diagnostic machine to determine and verify the fault so that would be your best option..However other areas such as wiring/plug connectors to the motor/to the power steering ecu aswell as routine check of the charging system to ensure no faults occur there..so as above that about the best way forward on this one..I do hope this helps