Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Help! My 2006 Vauxhal vectra is driving me nuts, this week

Help! My 2006 Vauxhal vectra is driving me nuts, this week I had a new clutch, Dmf and cylinders fitted, everything was fine until the next morning the car wouldn't start, took the car back to garage, glowpugs were replaced thinking this is why it wouldn't start, they have checked all wiring and crankshaft, yesterday it was running fine but this morning back to square one and won't start, aa have checked all revs ....... All that is fine, they confirmed it's not the starter motor, so why won't it start? ....... Advice I so much appreciated
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

if you haven't already then I'd consider replacing the crank sensor as its quite easy to damage this when replacing the flywheel and this will results in a non start

Also check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) with a voltmeter - measuring for 12V with the ignition on
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The crank sensor has been replaced too....the mentioned initially the checked wiring, relay and fuses but we're saying that no power was going to glow plug but replaced them anyway, what would cause no power to glow plugs, they said there is no problem in the wiring?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

the glow plugs are powered by a heavy duty relay that is located to the fusebox this relay in turn is powered up by the ECU

so I'd 1st check that the ECU is getting power and then check to see if the glow plug relay is getting power
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They said they have tested the fuses and the relay and that is all fine,?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They have advised the relay and fuses are all fine, they have checked all the wiring too,

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

so is the ECU getting power?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it is getting the correct power

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

so if the ECU is getting power then it should be switching the glwo plug relay

unless it thinks the engine is already warm

in which case its worthwhile replacing the coolant temp sensor