Peterkmiles
Peterkmiles, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  13 years experience at the highest level of automotive technology
37560582

Hello, Pajero 3.2 ltr, 2007 diesel Put petrol (13 ltr) in

Pajero 3.2 ltr, 2007 diesel
Put petrol (13 ltr) in tank by accident. I plan to drain out the tank and put in some new diesel and then try starting it. Would that be OK ?
I looked underneath but can't find the drain plug.
Pat McDonnell
Category: Car
Expert:  Peterkmiles replied 2 years ago.
Hi pat,
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you on this.
I need to know some more information first. Was the ignition turned on or the engine started after putting the petrol in? How much fuel was in the car before the petrol was put in?
Let me know and I can guide you from here.
Best regards
Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The tank was near empty: yellow light had come on the fuel gauge.Yes I drove the jeep about 2.5 miles after putting the petrol in.

Ok thanks.
If you follow the manufacturer guidance you should replace the entire fuel system but the costs would be prohibitive to do this.
I would advise draining the fuel tank, flushing the fuel lines through and fitting a new fuel filter.
There is no drain hose perse on these vehicles so there are 2 ways of doing this, one is to remove the fuel tank and drain it, re fill it and flush the lines through or the second is to remove the fuel line to the high pressure fuel pump in the engine bay. The latter being the better way to do it.
If you remove this line, connect a small hose and put it into a bucket then switch the ignition on to acc, do not try and start it just to the position with the dash lights all on, this is cause the lift pump in the tank to prime the fuel system and pump a litre of 2 out of the hose you have connected. Keep doing this on off switching until all the fuel is out.
Once all the fuel is out reconnect the supply and change the fuel filter and refill tank, it will take a while of cranking over before it starts ask the system will be full of air and the filter empty but it will go eventually.
I hope this helps. Don't forget to rate my answer and come back to me at any time for further support on this question.
Best regards
Peter