Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

hi i recently took my 57plate izuzu rodeo denver into a landrover

Customer Question

hi i recently took my 57plate izuzu rodeo denver into a landrover dealer which sell izuzu.i had an abs light on then off and a pulsating on the brakes.they diagonostic it which took 2hrs then said i need 2 bring it beck 2 b cleaned 2 see if that will sort it out.if not new abs part and fitted it will bee 600 quid .this sounds alot of money are they ripping me off.sorrry i take a while typing i dont use a computer alot.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 2 years ago.

Mark :

Hello, my name is Mark and I will try help you with this.

Mark :

Much depends on what code they found and what parts they intend to replace.

Mark :

If a part is needing cleaned then I suspect they are talking about a wheel speed sensor.

Mark :

I would say they are jumping the gun a bit with giving you a price just now though.

Mark :

They first need to establish what code is stored.

Mark :

They then need to check the component involved and the wiring to it.

Mark :

Depending on the results of the tests they can then work out the cost of repair.

Mark :

You also have to remember they need to charge for diagnostic time which can be a few hours, depending on at what point they find the fault.

Mark :

For instance, if they found the sensor was at fault on the first test they did, then £600 would seem excessive.

Mark :

However, if they found the ecu was at fault after 3 hours of testing then £600 would be too cheap. More likely to be about £1000 to complete the job.

Mark :

This would consist of say 3-4 hours labour, the cost of the part plus programming and then vat.

Mark :

A lot of dealers can charge over £100 per hour for labour so costs can escalate quite quickly.