Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have got a Renault Laguna 1.9 diesel, manual gearbox. The

I have got a Renault Laguna 1.9 diesel, manual gearbox. The car has been driving very well all until in the last day or so I noticed a small noise from the gearbox as though a dry rubbing sound especially in 5th and 6th gear. The car has been serviced regularly, I will get oil levels checked in the morning, is there something else I will need to do.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd agree checking the gearbox oil levle is the 1st thing to do

also if you don't know when the oil was last changed it may be better to drain it off and replace with fresh

when you drain it , if you use some paper towels as a filter to strain the oil as it runs out this will catch any debris and provide further clues to the nature of the problem

It would also be worth checking over the condition of the driveshaft rubber boots for any rips and tears
if you find anything the joint may need replacing if its lost all its grease

otherwise just fit a new CV boot