sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.

Ive just looked at a car I may buy and have just had a drive

Customer Question

I've just looked at a car I may buy and have just had a drive in it. The brakes were grinding as I used them, the salesman said that the car had just been serviced and mot'd and that the brakes had just been Adonised so that's why their grinding, he said that the car needs to be driven more to stop the grinding. Is the information he's told me correct or if he trying to pull the wool over my eyes.
It's a scirocco r 2010 I'm looking at by the way.
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm sorry you haven't had a reply sooner.
It is quite normal for the brakes to be a little noisy if a car has stood for any amount of time, this is usually due to a build up of rust on the brake discs.
Any noise caused by this should disappear after e few miles of driving and using the brakes, if it continues after this then it could indicate worn brake pads.
The best option is to insist on driving the car when the brake noise has been sorted out, the salesman should be able to arrange for the brakes to be checked and cleaned before you drive the car again. If the salesman isn't prepared to do this then avoid buying the car as they would then appear to have something to hide.
Any car you buy from a dealer/garage will be covered by the sale of goods act so if you did have a problem you can soon contact your local trading standards office.
I hope this helps put your mind at rest but if you have further questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I can.
Best wishes,