sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

Hi I really hope someone can help me. I have a Ford Focus 1.8

Hi I really hope someone can help me. I have a Ford Focus 1.8 tdci sport. I originally had a water pump go which dropped all the coolent. I took it to a garage in my town which they said would do, when I had the car back it suddenly had an oil leak, to which when I took it back they said they would fix the problem, because they had split the sump when jacking it up, and would be free of charge. I had it back and still was a leak, which again they said would put right. I collected the car which seemed fine, I drive 15 miles and went for some food, on the return, I put it in 4th gear and it started shuddering, shortly after I heard a horrible tapping noise coming from the engine, the car lost power, luckily I was only a couple of miles away from the garage, so I crept it there. The mechanic looked at the oil and he said it was like water and was really hot, I had no warning lights, ( although the temp light came on when the coolent dropped and also the temp needle was in the normal position ), but did have anything on the dash to say overheating or oil pressure. He seemed baffled. He said he would have to let it cool down before he could determine the problem, to which was the next day, I then had a phone call to say the knocking noise was from the gear box and would need replacing and also the engine would need an complete rebuild.
My question is surely with a car that had no problems or no indication that there was a problem, could suddenly go into a garage for something straight forward and within three days from start to finish now would need an complete engine rebuild and a gear box, and turbo. Could he have put the wrong oil in, or something else. I would be looking at over £2000 to put right. Please could I have your thoughts on this. Please could I have a response today before I speak to the mechanic again.
Much appreciated
Ian
Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assists you.

I would be very suspicious of any engine damage after an oil leak, depending on how much oil was lost the engine could have suffered a loss of oil pressure which could cause serious engine damage. The oil pressure light goes out at around 4 PSI but this pressure isn't enough to protect the engine so although the oil light didn't illuminate the pressure could have dropped enough to cause damage.

You need to find out exactly what the garage says is wrong with the engine, transmission and turbo. It seems very odd there should be a fault with the engine and transmission. The turbo can be damaged by low oil pressure.

Having to take the car back several times for a leak would in my opinion put some blame on the garage, find out if the sump was actually replaced, it is also possible the sump was distorted enough to block the oil pick up strainer which again would cause a lack of oil pressure.

As I said earlier find out exactly what the garage says has failed and why and go from there.

I hope this helps but if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response. The garage said that the gear box was what was making the tapping noise, and because the gear box he said was ceasing up it had put pressure on the engine causing the oil to get hot. I'm sure it is the garages fault. If, and I am aware at this stage that I cannot make accusations, but if it was the garages fault how could I prove it.
Ian
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
a problem with the transmission wouldn't usually cause engine damage and to be honest the most common cause of a noise from the transmission area on this model is a failing dual mass flywheel, again this wouldn't damage the engine.
As I said earlier get the garage to tell you what exactly has failed with the engine, get them to put it in writing so you have a record of it.
As I said earlier be suspicious as there wasn't any fault with the car prior to the water pump repair, the oil leak was caused by the garage and they have already admitted this.
Once you have a definite answer as to what has failed on the engine you can then put the case to the garage that this failed due to the oil leak causing a loss of oil pressure. Also ask them why the transmission was OK before the repair but isn't now.
Let me know if I can assist further.
Best wishes,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sean
Right I went to the garage today and asked him for a full report of what's was wrong, which he said he will do for lunch time. So I went to see him and asked him for the report, he said he had some more prices to do first, but I said can I have what you've done so far. Any way 10 minutes later all he gave me was a price list for what he thought was wrong which consisted of:
Recon Engine £1525.00
Recon Gear Box £526.26
New Turbo £501.00
Oil Filter, Oils, Bolts, Clips £ 100.00
And the usual labour and vat. Total was £3614.71
But he also said he would ring me with the last price.
I asked him that's not a report it's just a list of prices for parts and labour. He said without stripping it down he doesn't know exactly what the problem is. So surely why would he give me a price list??? I said to him that the gear box wouldn't affect the engine temp, to which he said the gears are right next to the engine and that they were ceasing up and causing strain on the engine.
The price he's given me will be around £4000 which is what I paid for the car!! I really don't know, I can't afford to get the work done, so think I will have to recover it back to my house. I'm confused any input wod be really appreciated!
Ian
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
if the garage doesn't know what is wrong with the engine or transmission then why price up a reconditioned part. The garages reluctance to actually tell you what the problem is seems suspicious.
The gears in the transmission won't start to seize up, if they were to seize the car wouldn't drive and every time you put the car in gear the engine would stop. The gears inside the transmission are immersed in oil so unless for some odd reason there is no oil in the transmission the transmission won't seize.
It would appear the garage are just trying to make money from you.
You mention getting the car recovered, if you do then after this it may be worth asking a firm such as the AA to inspect the car, they will give a definite report on it although obviously this will cost you.
Given that these problems have started after the garage damaged the sump when replacing the water pump I would avoid having them carrying any work out on the car, get a report from the AA or an independent and mention to them how this all started they may be able to put it in writing that this is due to the garage. You can then pursue the matter with the garage.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best regards,
Sean.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sean
I've had my car recovered back to my house, I
Mentioned to the AA about a full report but they seemed reluctant? So I have the car here, it has no oil in it, the oil filter, rocker cover, and the cam belt cover is in the boot. So basically I can't put any in, so I'm worried it might cause more problems. But again I don't know what to do! I can't start it or move it so do you have any ideas what else I could do?
Ian
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
both the AA and RAC will do an independent inspection report. Alternatively find a local garage that has a good name and explain to them your situation. Until you can confirm the actual fault you are in a bit of a no win situation.
Once you know what the fault is and this has been confirmed by an independent inspection you can the decide about pursuing the original garage for the cost of any repair.
Let me know if I can advise further.
Best regards,
Sean.