Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi, We have a Ford Transit Custom 2013 and since buying this

Hi, We have a Ford Transit Custom 2013 and since buying this vehicle brand new, during the winter months we have a issue with the battery being flat when we have been a a job all day and come to start the vehicle later in the day. We have heard the vehicle should have 2 batteries but this one only has 1, yet we know other people who's vehicle only has 1 battery and had no problems.
It has been back to the dealer who say they can not find a fault and we have asked if they would fit a second battery and they say it can't be done.
The problems only seem to happen during the winter months as we are using more of the equipment such as wipers, heated seats, lights, heated windscreen etc.
Just wondering if anyone else has had a starting issue and what we can do to cure it.
Many thanks, Terry
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello Terry and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise -

Before we progress any - can you give me the vehicles Full reg - and / or VIN...

Too - what voltage readings under test ( inc load test ) do you have -?

What is the van used for ? Does it have add heavy circuits added - such as beacons etc?

Also - what mileage does it have Terry?

Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Morning Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

The vehicle reg is HN13 NKT

I will contact the dealer today and see if they have the voltage readings.

We are a flooring company and the van is used to carry goods to site and then normally parked up for the day while working on site, some days several jobs on and would be more stop starting, but the starting problem seems to arise when the van is parked up all day on one site.

Also we so far have not had a issue during the summer months.

The mileage is 15532

Terry

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello there Terry -

Thank you for your reply / info..

There are no "common" faults in relation to what you are describing with that model - so a lot can be ruled out even at this point.

Given the fault as you have it , I would honestly say that another battery would be worth a try - and a bigger capacity one as you can get.. The standard battery that comes when new can usually be renewed / replaced with a heavier duty one - a local battery specialist would be the best bet. It sounds like you have a "faulty" battery - internally, in that sometimes it will hold its charge ok - other times not.. and in these circumstances, its very difficult for anyone to actually pick up on it - as most of the time, and when tested, its all ok.

So again - given your symptoms - and the facts as above inc the fact you dont mention any heavy load use -- I think thats going to be the case here.

You could ask the dealer to change the battery but they would only change it one for one...as /is - like for like - Again - given its typical use, I would recommend going for a heavier duty one - then see how it is from there. Im sure form what you have described, that will cure this issue for you Terry.... I don't feel you have anything sinister going on other than a faulty battery there.. ( you can get "new " batteries that go faulty - so even your mileage is not unheard of )

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.