Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

alfa romeo 156 2.4 v6 red light top right hand corner looks

alfa romeo 156 2.4 v6 red light top right hand corner looks like an injector nozzle. no throttle response, brake pedal hard engine runs rough and backfires. what wrong with it??
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..

The computer on the car - the engine management comp - has switched that light on - to tell you it has detected a fault in the systems... Generally the way forward then is to have a plug in fault code test done to determine whats wrong...

But - in this case, you say the brake pedal has gone hard and the engine runs badly - as you describe... These symptoms tend to suggest a leak in the vacuum system on the engine... so you need to make a manual check to find this... Have the engine running and check carefully the vacuum piping on the engine... Check particularly the pipe from the brake servo unit - back to the engine - follow that and Im sure you will find the whole problem that way. Such a loss of vacuum will cause all that you have described - all of it.

You could have a failed brake servo unit - thats the worse case... but common are plain split pipes etc as above - listen for hissing etc to help find the leak.. Let me know how you go - Once you sort the root cause as above, the light will go off and all will be well again.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert