Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Clio 2L(###) ###-####- wont start

I have a Clio 2L(###) ###-####with button start. It has an ongoing issue which first started as starter motor, but after the 2nd new one it was then diagnosed as an earthing issue. Everytime it happens the car wont even try and start, and the dash message says "Steering not locked". I took the car to Renault and they replaced an earthing cable running under the engine, and this has worked fine for around 6 months. Now the normal issue is back. The strange thing is, if the car wont start, i then leave it overnight, it will start fine in the morning.. i then have probably 2 ignition starts before it goes again... leave it alone, it will start. Very confused and could do without having to purchase a 3rd starter motor in 7 years. Any ideas? Thanks Gary

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Gary and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..

Crucially here you are mentioning that you get the " Steering not locked " message when it wont start...

This is then typical of a fault with the ESL unit - thats the electronic steering lock - and when this plays up - the car will not start - giving some the idea that its a faulty starter motor etc - though that is easily ruled out by circuit tests. Given its been ok when the starter was replaced before - if you had the same message then on the dash , then that was pure coincidence. Too of course bad earths can cause odd issues but they are not that common on the model you have..

In any event though - if you are getting that message - you have a faulty ESL and that needs to be dealt with / replaced to cure this issue. It sounds like the dealer could do with changing too...or, use a known good garage that has knowledge of these cars -and the equipment to do the job -- but again, with that fault message and those symptoms - thats your issue there... Dealing with that - replacing the ESL will cure that for you properly.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert