Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

I have a late 2002 Seat Leon with the yellow engine light permenantly

I have a late 2002 Seat Leon with the yellow engine light permenantly showing.This has been on for some time and has not proved any detrement to the normal running of the car which drives extremely well,and the car has passed 2 mot emission tests in this condition .I am now looking to sell the car,but potential buyers are put off when they see the light is on.
I have changed the egr valve for a used one which is in known working condition but no change. I would be very grateful for any advise on this matter. Best Regards Jeff.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise...

As you have an EML on ..( Engine Management Light ) . this is indicating that the ECU - management computer, has detected and logged a fault or faults, somewhere in the engine management systems...

This could be a sensor fault or wiring issues or even a fault with the main ecu itself... ( the latter is quite rare ) but you see the problem... it's impossible to guess where the fault(s) may be.

What you will need to do now is have the cars systems connected to a suitable diagnostic machine - preferably dealer level equipment... to read / scan the cars ecu - to retrieve the now stored / logged fault code(s)...

Once these are retrieved - then you / the user - will be directed to the area of fault and that can then be dealt with.

To be honest , its usually a sensor fault or a poor connection somewhere... but as I said earlier - it's impossible to guess.

What you can do on a DIY basis - is go around all the wiring connectors around the engine - giving them a tug and a wiggle... just in case you have a poor connection somewhere on one of the sensors / drivers etc... If you do happen to hit on one thats causing the light to come on - the light will usually go off then at the next "start" as the ecu will see the fault is cleared. ( Some cars you need to have the ecu cleared with the diagnostic equipment ) ...

So try that -its worth a try... but failing that - you will need to have it connected up to equipment as I've mentioned...

Many smaller garages have suitable equipment for these these days so if you cannot locate the fault yourself as above - then have a ring around to arrange to have that done and then it will get sorted.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert