Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

My Saab 9-5 2.2 TiD struggles to start when cold & if it does

My Saab 9-5 2.2 TiD struggles to start when cold & if it does start theirs a large amount of white smoke from the exhaust. if the car is warm it starts no bother
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

These engines are basically the same 2.2 diesel found in the Vectra's - and can have the same fault at cold start..there are few things that can cause this and the most common is air ingress into the fuel system..its a very common fault with these engines..first off try replacing the rubber spill off leak off pipes and 3 plastic t sections..normally these can cause air to get into the system and thus the fuel drains back to the tank..this off course causing bad starting at cold and then the white smoke..but as you found doesnt happen at hot.check the plastic t-sections and if you opt for the fuel filter to be done..check both these aprts for presense of engine oil or traces even..if there is small traces of engine oil in these t-sections or the filter element..then your problem going to be the injector injector cross over seals which are within the cylinder head under the camshaft.yet another common problems these engine tend to suffer from .so maybe try those first the "injector leak off pipes you can get a length of leak off pipe/the t-sections from Vauxhall/SAAB..they will know exactly what you refer too..another is the actual fuel filter housing/filter itself so certainly maybe have that check out..so as above if you dont have engine managment lights on but just this starting fault..then thats usually the best place to start on these the leak off pipe work..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then please continue before you rate