Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a Mercedes c180k 1997, I found oil in the cooling water

Customer Question

I have a Mercedes c180k 1997, I found oil in the cooling water which has formed a heavy
emulsion, on checking the compression the cylinders read as follows, no I 14.5 bar
bar no 2 14.5 no 3 14 bar no 4 14 bar. does this indicate a head gasket problem or could
some other fault cause the problem ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE.. Im happy to help --

Are there any signs of water in the oil- in the engine...or droplets of water and / or creamy gunge on the inside of the oil cap ?

Rgds- MIKE...........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi thanks for reply, no sign of water or emulsion in oil or oil filler cap.

exhaust clean but slight condensation for few minuets after starting, engine runs smooth.Regards Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi there-

Thank you for your reply and further info..

In that case, its more likely that the oil cooler has split internally - which then means oil will get into your water / cooling system..often forms in big black globules or a slick..

Given its not fitting what I asked, and your compressions are fine , thats what it will be - you cant repair Im afraid - it will have to be replaced - but that will cure that.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, my Mercedes has a petrol engine, don't think this is fitted with an oil cooler, regards mike,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

there is a slight oil leak around the chain case cover, is it possible for oil to enter the water pump here ? Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Mike..

Thank you for your reply..

It should have Mike.. take a look at this HERE... this is just an example - before you buy one - be sure its the right one for you car / year.

All the best - MIKE.

-- I just sent you the reply above... and you sent me another message - they crossed..

so in answer to your second... the answer is no to that Mike...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the 1997 c180k is not fitted with an oil cooler, so your answer was not

relevant to the question, you obviously no nothing about this car