Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi My sprinter 2008 is making a noise when i drive as if the

Hi My sprinter 2008 is making a noise when i drive as if the propshaft is catching something and a squeaking noise i went under the van and i only hear the noise on the part that goes from the centre to the differential. i can't hear anything on the differential itself. i have changed the centre bearing and it has improved somewaht.
Help please
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Mike :

Hello and Welcome..

Mike :

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..

Mike :

Is it the centre bearing / bushing you have replaced only?

Customer:

yes, i only replaced centre bearing.

Mike :

Okay... when the bearing fails you usually get a banging noise rather than a squeak...as it hits against the outer ring...a squeaking is generally down to the UJ worn/ failing - they are made up of needle roller bearings ( inside the little cups) - they dry out and hence you get the squeak squeak noises... it sounds like you have that issue - it is common.

Customer:

these are sealed u-joints, so i'm guessing will need to change the whole propshaft then?

Mike :

It will need either a new joint fitting - or a new shaft. If you undo the shaft and manually move the UJ from side to side - they should "flop" easily from side to the other.. if you have to force it to move or it feels "rough" that's the sign of the above.

Mike :

Yes they are the sealed ones - but they can be done - they are whats called Staked ones..as opposed to the old type that were helpd with circlips...

Mike :

You really need to find a garage that has the "kit" for changing the staked type joints - If you can do without the van you can send it away to be done - or , I can give you a contact for that / or exchange shafts... far cheaper than MB new..

Customer:

i would really appreciate the contact mike, would you know of someone close to me? i'm in orpington , greater london, uk, BR5 4BX

Mike :

Ah - Im not in your area - but if you do a google search for Propshaft suppliers / repairs in your locale you may come up with one - I would think you would -- the contact I have is HERE... I have used them over the years and I can recommend them..

Mike :

Are you Kent area?

Customer:

yes i am in kent

Mike :

Right - I thought so.. as in Orpington.. it reminded me of another - Kent Tranmissions - they are fairly well known.. just a sec

Customer:

ok

Mike :

Ok - they are HERE... that may be a better bet for you.

Customer:

just one last thing Mike, since i can only hear the noise on the propshaft, but not on the differential, would you agree that this is very unlikely to be a noise being transmited from the differential to the propshaft or do you think a problem with the differential can not be dismissed?

Mike :

I was going off what you said above - in that you felt there was nothing from the diff... It could be the diff....thats always a possibilty - but again, its usually the joints / one or more, with that squeak sound - the diff is usually a deep drumming noise..like a bad wheel bearing... Again - I would suggest to take it off and move the joints about from side to side to test - again they should be smooth in operation - and no sloppy slack neither in the actual "cups".

Mike :

That will tell you for sure then that way.

Customer:

ok Mike, i think i'll take it to the kent workshop as they very close to me and ask them to have a look?

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome Ricardo..

All the best with it -

You are welcome back anytime.

Best Rgds, MIKE.