Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Jag X-Type! Dash message tells me 'Passenger's door

I have a Jag X-Type! Dash message tells me 'Passenger's door open' but it isn't! Something to do with door catch perhaps? Tried adjustment on door pillar but not the solution. Would it be the door latch itself? My local garage is stumped because the problem can be intermittent. Any ideas please.
Best regards Paul.
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Door adjustment would never solve this..this to do with the microswitch within that doors lock/latch assembly itself..the switch is actually built into the assembly so normally it will have to be to another lock assembly for that door im afraid..have the garage tried spraying wd-40 into the latch down the side of the door,you dont mention whether they have or not - sometimes this might help if the microswitch is sticking slightly..not to uncommon for that to happen and thus causing an intermittent fault message to appear or cause the interior lights/alarm problems to manifest..but the way forward on this is to try the wd-40 method first,dont be liberal with it give it good spray with straw attachment right in.something you may want to try yourself and see if that works..if that doesnt work then its new door lock assembly..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Robert, sorry it's taken a while to reply. Thanks for your help, I will try the WD 40 first and give it a good soak. Should it be necessary to fit a new lock assembly would you have any idea how much in terms of cost I might be paying?

Regards, Paul.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your responce..

Yes as long as you get the straw attachement right into the mechanisim and see if that helps..like i say it usually the microswitch that the cause for this..locks generally new are in the region of £170-£200 so not cheap..you may well wantt to consider the second hand option..most online breakers or even the likes of ebay might your best solution..obviously tho remove and install would require door panel removal so you could be looking a a couple of hours labor on top..again hard to be specific on that based on that most/all garage across the uk tend to rate per hour differnatly..but as above certainly try the wd-40 method first and hopefully that should help or be it buy time before considering replacing the assembly..i do hope this helps further

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Robert, you have been most helpful. Kind regards, Paul.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

No problem at all glad to help..please dont forget however to rate my responce above much appreciated..If you need any further advice then just ask..Regards Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

WD 40 did the job Robert, thanks again!

Regards Paul.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Paul.. Many thanks for letting me know how you got on.. glad it worked out for you!..least if any others doors have the same problem then you'll know the way forward with them.. However if ever need to ask anything else at anytime then just ask... Regards Robert.