Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi - I have 2 queries 1. I am considering purchasing an Hyundai

Hi - I have 2 queries
1. I am considering purchasing an Hyundai ix35 2ltr diesel automatic - I have read owners reviews and see that they say there has been problems with fuel emulsifying during the winter , is this a common problem ? - can it be avoided.
2. diesel cars are now fitted with diesel particulate filters - we only do aprox 3000 mls per year and they say small journies and low milage cause this to block - is this true
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

Sorry too see your question hasnt been answered as yet.. Do you still require advice or assistance?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I still have not received an answer to my question

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your responce..

Ok..as per first question if you refer to as the fuel waxing then yes that is quite a failry common problem but not specific to this vehicle..have seen this on other diesel engine makes - the reason usually is down to the supplier in regards ***** ***** or lack of it during colder winter periods..namely Biofuels are more likely to wax,emulsify in cold weather and that's what blocks the fuel filters/wax crystals..there isnt really much you can do bar change supplier to either shell/bp/esso.and aviod supermarket fuels which tend to see this occur from..there are additives you can use ie: diesel injectors cleaners and such to maybe add to the tank after or before fill up..so thats really about the only preventative measures really..

As per second question..Yes DPF's do tend to suffer from excess soot build up on diesels seldom used or on short journey use only..the reason for that is because the vehicle isnt able to self regenerate the dpf in a way of getting it upto its desired temperature to help burn off that excess soot captured hence why high mileage/high use diesels with dpf's tend to not have issues with dpfs as they are allowed through normal driving in particular during motorway speeds to get the filter upto to temperature..if the filter isnt able to self regenerate then it has to be diagnostically forced regenerated - if that doesnt help removal and cleaning can help but the end result is renewal at cost..thats why anyone who does consider a diesel with a dpf but only does short trips should consider the petrol engine variant instead..I do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then please just continue before you rate