Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Problem - gearbox noise in 51 plate Freelander. I have the

Customer Question

Problem - gearbox noise in 51 plate Freelander. I have the car jacked up, propshafts and IRD unit off, front driveshafts off and ( rattling ) noise persists in all gears EXCEPT first and reverse. I assume there must be a bearing in the gearbox gone. Do you have a diagram of the gearbox or could you suggest which bearing it might be ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
I dont have a diagram for you but the noise that you are hearing is coming from the input bearing. This bearing is common to fail and results in the noise that you are hearing. This bearing sits at the tail of the gearbox and will require the gearbox to be removed in order to replace this.