sean
sean, Technician
Experience:  UK based Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
31670004

SEAT AROSA 1000SI. I've overfilled the engine oil

Customer Question

My car is a SEAT AROSA 1000SI. I've overfilled the engine oil by about 5mm. I've a long journey planned for today. Is the car safe to drive on such a journey? Thanks, Stuart

The journey will take about 3 hours there and the same time back.

Category: Car
Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm sorry you haven't had a reply sooner. An engine shouldn't be over filled as it can result in excess crankcase pressure which will cause oil seals on the engine to fail. However given the age of the car you won't have to worry about catalyst damage as the car won't have one. As it is only about 5mm on the dip stick then you should be OK to drive the car, 5mm is probably only around 0.25 litres extra. Obviously if possible drain the oil to the correct level but if you can't then as I said earlier you should be OK to drive the car. The oil level on the dipstick can vary depending on when the oil is checked, if the engine is cold and you run it then check the oil straight away the oil level will appear lower than on an engine where it is hot and has stood 5 minutes before checking the level. I hope this puts your mind at rest. Best wishes and safe journey. Sean.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply and for putting my mind at rest. Stuart

Expert:  sean replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
no problem.
Best regards,
Sean.