Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a zafira 2.0ltr dti early 05 plate won't start, fuel

Customer Question

I have a zafira 2.0ltr dti early 05 plate won't start, fuel tank removed and drained off sediment, filter and housing renewed, fuel line checked all ok fitted hand pump to prime system , cranked over engine still won't start, fuel filter empty HELP
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

ok if the fuel isn't getting through to the filter then its not going to start

it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.
If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Perhaps I should have given you more history over several months I have had starting problems( longer than normal cranking times) and have to fast idle 1500rpm so it didn't stall as it did on normal tickover then it would be a real pig to start again, there is no sign of any fuel leak along the pipe runs.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes did the egr valve the other day was a bit sticky but freed it off with brake cleaner saw a friend today who lives in Spain and runs a small repair shop and told me he has fixed about 12 with the same problem in the last 2 years so I'll be trying that tomorrow

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Ok

hopefully thats the issue
just get back to me on this post if required