Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi - my 1999 Seat Alhambra (36,000 miles) had a problem with

Hi - my 1999 Seat Alhambra (36,000 miles) had a problem with over revving when accelerating when on the move, and various places advised that the clutch needed replacing. I took it to my local garage who replaced the clutch and flywheel for £880. Just as I was about to go and collect it, they phoned to say that when they test drove the car, they found that they were unable to change gear very easily and that the gear selector cables needed replacing as a result of the clutch being changed. They want to charge a further 4 hrs labour + £100 for the new pair of cables.
Please can you tell me if this is normal or if I am being ripped off?
I just spoke to the garage and they said that my car 'should' be ready today unless they find any other problems. I'm getting somewhat worried now that I'll never get my car back!
What do you think they may say is wrong now and try to charge me for?
Thanks for your help.
Stuart.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
The clutch cables labor and the labor for the clutch replacement overlap each other,meaning they should have suggested that the cables need replacing while the gear box was out during the clutch replacement.
It is common to need the clutch cables replaced as a result of a bad clutch, the cables stretch, however they should have known this and only charged you for the cables and not the labor. This doesn't really sound like they are trying to rip you off so to speak, this sounds like someone forgot about the cables until everything was back together and now they don't want to do the labor for free. I do not believe they will find anything else wrong with the vehicle and if they do, then yes they are just trying to take you for all that you have and i would demand the vehicle back.